We admit students for fall and spring semesters. The Fall application deadline is January 15th for priority and international applications and April 1st for domestic applications. To be considered for financial support applicants must submit applications by the priority deadline. Spring admission deadline is October 1st for international applications and November 15th for domestic applications.
Admission to the graduate program in Latin American & Caribbean Studies requires a BA, preferably in one of the social sciences or humanities, language proficiency in either Spanish or Portuguese as demonstrated by completion of a fourth-semester course or the equivalent, and acceptance by the graduate division of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences of the University of Kansas. Applicants whose grade point average is below 3.0 will not be admitted to the degree program. However, a student with less than a 3.0 GPA may be admitted on a probationary or provisional status at the discretion of the departmental Graduate Committee.
A completed application includes:
- Completion of the Graduate Application Form found on the KU Graduate Studies web page. The application fees are as follows: $65 for domestic applicants, $85 for international applicants
- A statement of interest, explaining your background and interest in pursuing the MA degree in Latin American & Caribbean Studies.
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from professors familiar with your academic work. (The Graduate Letter of Recommendation Form must accompany each letter, and is included as part of the online Graduate Application Form.)
- Copy of current Resume.
- Writing sample (in English) of 10-20 pages.
- Domestic students: Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. (KU's GRE code: 6871)
- International Students: Official TOEFL or IELTS scores. (International applicants are not required to take the GRE)
- One official transcript for all post-secondary education sent via mail or electronically: email@example.com OR Graduate Admissions, 1450 Jayhawk Blvd., Strong Hall 313, Lawrence, KS 66045